On November 23, 2020 the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission extended the current emergency special process procedure through December 31, 2020.
That process includes the following:
1. All in person hearings at the IWCC are suspended.
2. The Commission will consider emergency hearings with a new 19(b) petition having been filed. The Arbitrator will first conduct a Webex pre-trial to confirm that it is a valid emergency before setting it for trial.
3. The emergency hearings will be limited to specific locations and Arbitrators. The emergency dockets and Arbitrators are:
Dockets To Be Covered
|| Chicago (all cases)
|| Herrin, Mt. Vernon, & Collinsville
|| Urbana, Quincy, & Springfield
|| Bloomington, Rock Island, & Peoria
|| Joliet, Kankakee & Ottawa
|| Waukegan, Woodstock, & Rockford
|| Geneva, Elgin, & Wheaton
The IWCC will allow pro-se settlements via Webex subject to the following:
· The settlement must be heard by the Arbitrator assigned to the case by the IWCC. It can take several days for an Arbitrator to be assigned once a contract is filed.
· An affidavit must be presented to the Arbitrator which can take additional time as well.
· The Respondent is responsible for assisting the claimant with the Webex format.
This process will result in a longer turn-around time for pro-se approval. In order to have contracts approved by the end of 2020, you should be in the process of finalizing settlements as soon as possible in order to provide enough time to work through all of these steps. There will also be several holidays as well at the end of December.
As always our Illinois Workers’ Compensation team is ready to assist and answer any questions. Please feel free to contact any member of our team.