Cases that reach the appellate level typically involve mission-critical issues. Judicial decisions in these matters can have a significant impact on a client’s ability to achieve business and financial goals, and set important precedents for future disputes.
The appellate lawyers of Evans & Dixon understand that preparation is one of our most important tools in effectively defending or pursuing an appeal of a lower-court decision. Whether working with our clients at trial to lay the groundwork for a potential appeal, or assuming representation after previous counsel has been unable to achieve a favorable result, we draw on our legal acumen, extensive motion practice, and experience preparing written and oral arguments to provide clients with the strongest representation we can provide.
Our appellate attorneys are skilled in handling appeals involving disputed business transactions, civil matters and workers’ compensation issues. We have represented clients in the following areas, among others:
- Asbestos-related litigation
- Automobile, contractors’, corporate, premises, products, professional and other forms of liability
- General liability, libel and slander
- Liability claims against municipal and state governments
- Business torts and contract disputes
- Civil rights, employment and employee benefits disputes
- Construction litigation
- Extraordinary writs
- Insurance coverage and insurance insolvency litigation
- Intellectual property matters, including copyrights
- Regulatory matters, including compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) requirements
Our appellate lawyers are admitted to federal and state supreme and appellate courts in numerous jurisdictions, including in Missouri, Kansas and Illinois. Additionally, we prosecute and defend appeals in the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Seventh and Eighth Circuits, and before the Industrial Commission in Missouri and the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission.